Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
Please see below any open positions at NPHF.
JOB DESCRIPTION- Health Education Specialist
Job Type: Estimated working hours are Monday-Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. 20-30 hr per week. Flexibility for current students may be available.
Salary: $15 per hour
Summary of Position:
A Health Education Specialist works under the direct supervision of the Health Information Manager and Executive Director to develop and deliver educational materials, classes, and presentations to support the goals and objectives of one or more Foundation programs.
The position is located in Carson City, NV. Some evening hours are required. Overnight travel to rural communities and Las Vegas are required from time to time. Some weekend hours may be required.
A Health Education Specialist is responsible for:
- Research. Performs literature searches, assists in conducting focuses groups and surveys, and performs other research tasks as assigned or to develop specific educational materials and programs.
- Education Materials and Programs. Writes educational brochures, manuals, videotapes, presentations, and other materials on public health topics or Foundation programs. Co- presents to schools, community groups, and other organizations. Recommends educational programs and products to improve the Foundation’s objective of marketing healthy communities.
- Instruction. Writes curricula, develops visual aids and graphics presentations, teaches, obtains continuing education credits, and helps performs some administrative duties for classes on public health topics.
- Marketing. Collects information on potential consumers, compiles databases, oversees distribution of products, and keeps records of educational product recipients and contacts. Writes marketing material and distributes. Participates in health fairs and other public events to promote Nevada Public Health Foundation, its mission and objectives, and its educational products.
- Collaborates with Outside Organizations: Works with organizations outside the Foundation to strengthen educational programs, improve educational program delivery and product distribution, and achieve mutual goals pertaining to public health education.
- Other Duties as Assigned: Performs other duties as assigned by management to improve performance of the Foundation and its programs; including assisting in the organizing, planning and facilitation of conferences.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The Health Education Specialist should be an individual who is creative, has a strong desire to communicate important information to other people, and is interested in developing a career in public health and/or social work. The Health Information Specialist must:
- Be committed to the Nevada Public Health Foundation’s mission and enthusiastic about contributing to its programs.
- Understand the importance of working with diverse populations on the Foundation staff and in serving diverse populations in Foundation programs.
- Possess above average written and verbal communication skills.
- Be willing to accept delegated decision-making responsibility pertaining to assigned work.
- Be able to perform each essential duty mentioned in job description satisfactorily.
- Must be comfortable speaking on sensitive topics including Statutory Sexual Seduction, consent, birth control, STDs, teen pregnancy, sexual assault and interpersonal relationships.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking to large crowds and facilitating group work.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite skills
- Must be adaptive to new features and technologies (RegFox, Canva, Mailchimp, Facebook etc.)
- Project management skills including planning, setting and managing milestones, identifying and managing stakeholder relationships, and achieving agreed-on outcomes.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and job focus; organizes and prioritizes well; seeks solutions and results.
- Takes initiative; self-motivates; demonstrates creativity and critical thinking.
- Communicates detailed information effectively both verbally and in writing. Answers questions and clarifies points.
- Works effectively in a team: able to build partnerships and work collaboratively; integrates disparate viewpoints into creative solutions.
- Must be able to engage professionally with a variety of sectors: i.e., public officials, representatives of state and local government, medical staff, parents, teens, social workers, etc.
- Ability to work effectively in a quiet environment with little supervision, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong analysis skills: gathers and interprets data dealing with complex problems and situations; understands and interprets complex rules and regulations.
- Must have a strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrates strong organization skills and time management. Requires ability to communicate detailed information either verbally or in writing. Answers questions and clarifies points.
Associates degree and one year of education and outreach experience OR proof of current enrollment in a four year program.
- Critical Thinking and Continuous Improvement
- Collaborative Relationships and Teamwork
- Initiative and Results Focus
Nevada Public Health Foundation offers earned sick leave and vacation time.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment with moderate interruptions.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, squat, and ambulate over uneven floor surfaces including stairs and steps.
- Combination of office work and travel across Nevada on a frequent basis. Evening and weekend hours may be required from time to time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time during presentations.
- Must have a reliable vehicle with proof of car insurance.
- Must be able to visually and auditory assess and interact with clients to ensure their safety and wellbeing.
- Be able to use office equipment, computer, monitor, key board, telephone.
This job description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, effort, and/or working conditions associated with the position. While it is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e. emergencies, changes in staff, workload, rush jobs, technology changes, etc.)
Please submit a cover letter expressing your interest in the position and resume to our Health Information Manager at the information below.
Tess Peterson, BSW